The Whole Family

The Whole Family

Friday, October 5, 2012

A Little Fun (Ok, A Lot of fun!)

About 5 weeks ago Dale got an e-mail saying a couple had dropped out of the Grand Canyon hike with a group that Dale had hiked with last year, do we want the spot.   We quickly responded with a "yes, we'd love to go".   So, last week we headed out to Utah for a little time with our oldest before heading to the Grand Canyon.    It was fun to see Elaine in her new environment, new apartment, new job, etc...  I think it helped me feel a little bit better about her being gone.  





We decided to take a trip up the ski lift at the Olympic Park to ride the Extreme Zip Line.




Just before our turn, can you tell who is nervous??  One of these people was a bit nervous, and it wasn't me.



On our last night with Elaine we had an enjoyable dinner at the Roof in Salt Lake City.  It was very hard to say goodbye.



Look at that handsome hunk.  


At this point I am really starting to question my sanity.  I willingly agreed to hike this, rim2rim, in one day?  All 24 miles?



Enjoying our brief rest stop.  We started hiking at 4:30 in the morning, with head lamps.  Mine went dead, not good with huge cliffs at your side.  My knight in shinning armor gave me his and followed me closely.  I'm not sure following me is so wise, several times I tired walking straight when the trail would turn.



Can't beat the beauty of this canyon.  Nothing like being up close.




You take whatever you can to sit on when you are tired, especially if you are carrying 2 other men's stuff along with your own.  Go Dale!!  (Several people struggled on this hike.)  Abandoned wheelbarrow, sharp rock, some randomly placed utility box.  


Amazing view.


I won't lie, I'm very proud I made it.  Next year I'm planning on making the return trip too!  This year was tough but hey, you gotta start somewhere.



That grove of trees in the middle of the picture is Indian Gardens.  That was where we had to leave one of our group and his wife.  He was sick and couldn't make the rest of the hike.  He stayed at a ranger station there.  The rest of us hiked from there to the South Rim 4.5 miles in the dark, with headlamps.  We finally emerged from the canyon at 10:30 pm.  It was a long, grueling day, but worth it.



A slight change of plans gave us time to spend another day with our girl.  A big bonus was going to the BYU football game.  

No comments:

Post a Comment