The Whole Family

The Whole Family

Monday, October 29, 2012

Pumpkin Carving


I am going to start this post by stating the facts.

1.  I used to love pumpkin carving.
2.  I used to be very meticulous about getting the pumpkin cleaned so you couldn't see a single string or seed.
3.  I used to love the pumpkin smell.  
4.  I absolutely love roasted pumpkin seeds.



Now that I am the Mom here are the facts in a bit of a realistic fashion.

1.  If I could get away with it I wouldn't carve a pumpkin.   By the time rolls around to carve pumpkins, I would just like to sit down and put my feet up not make a big mess.  But....We have a small holiday fiend in our midst and I wouldn't dare disappoint him.
2.  My pumpkin has just about every string still in it.  It just takes to darn long to clean them.  At least this year we remembered to bring them in off the porch yesterday so we weren't carving freezing cold pumpkins.
3.  I think I still love the pumpkin smell when it is roasting, but when I smell raw pumpkin all I can think about is the slime and seeds that are stuck to everything.
4.  I still love roasted seeds but cleaning them to roast is not my favorite task.  



This little guys was so excited to carve the pumpkins.  He picked the small one, the one being stabbed, at a field trip.  It is currently molding on the bottom but I cannot persuade him to let me cut it off and cook it down to make something yummy.  I guess it will just continue to grow fur on the counter.



In deep concentration over what face to carve.  (Or watching news reports on Hurricane Sandy.)




If I could just get this kind of focus for chores.




Mark is our creative, in depth pumpkin carver.




Just playing with my camera.  
The pumpkin carving mess looks cool in the picture.





When you ask one of my boys to pose this is what you get.




Not to be outdone by his older brother.





I tried to get Joe to pose and it looked very fake and uncomfortable.  I finally said, "Just pretend you are laying on the floor watching TV." 
I think this is the best smile I've gotten out of him when he was asked to smile.  I wish the focus was better, but hey He smiled!!




Mark is hoping I will let him light the pumpkin into large flames.  We'll see about that.



No comments:

Post a Comment