Yesterday we celebrated Grant's birthday. Once again it really seems like time flies.
"Last" year for Grant's birthday he requested a dirt cake. Ok, ok this was his 3rd birthday 8 years ago. I did think it was quite funny though that dirt cake was his request this year also.
This is during the birthday serenade. It can no longer be called a song. You know it is bad when Joe is plugging his ears while he "sings". We also introduce the new elders to our tradition last night. They may request to never come back on a birthday.
This year's dirt cake.
At the young age of 3 Grant started to show an interesting personality trait. He had a very hard time waiting for special events. When he realized that I had purchased his birthday presents he got very upset that I wouldn't let him see them right away. Now this wasn't just a passing thing. He would ask several times a day for a week before his birthday. You would think as a mother I would learn.
Fast forward 8 more years. The same personality trait is still going very strong. Grant had a terrible nights sleep because he was so excited. I made the mistake of wrapping the presents and putting them on the fireplace until it was time to open them. They "sat" there for about 3 hours. I think I was asked no more than 50 times if he could open them, or if I could just tell him what one of them was. He was barely able to choke down his birthday dinner of corn dogs, mashed potatoes, roasted broccoli and soda (all at his request). The minute that he was done scarfing down dinner the bombardment of being asked to open them started again. I tried to pacify him with cake since the elders were still here and we were talking with them. Cake didn't work. He was too excited to even eat it. FINALLY mom relented and let him open the presents. We should have just started with them. I think it might have made for a more peaceful evening.

No comments:
Post a Comment