The Whole Family

The Whole Family

Friday, October 14, 2011

Priorities

Dale and I have had the discussion many times about how we as parents have been to many more meets than any other parents we know.  We have come to a conclusion.  We are very blessed that we have the resources to travel to some of these meets and that Dale has a schedule that allows him to attend these meets.  We have also decided that supporting our children and showing them that we love them is a top priority for us.  Sometimes this comes at the expense of most of our evenings spent driving to and from meets and eating Subway.  One night this week I was getting a little stressed out, it happened more than once this week, about having Subway for dinner once again.  I was feeling like a failure as a mother and like I should be able to do it all.  The more I stressed over it the sillier it became.  Finally I was filled with a sense of peace that sandwiches for dinner didn't matter, my kids did.  (I should add here that I don't think it makes anyone a bad parent if they can only make a couple events.  I am just saying this is what we choose to spend our time on.)

So with that being said, here is what we did yesterday.



Mark competed in a cross country meet.  We got there just after they started.  We were running a little late between the drive, grabbing the younger boys and helping the missionaries (more about that later).  It was a beautiful fall day.  It is cooling off again after having temperatures in the 80s all last week.



Mark coming in for a strong finish with Dale on my left giving him some loud encouragement to finish strong.  The fun thing about cross country meets it that you can get there for your child's race and then you are done.  Typically the courses are set up such that you can catch your child anywhere from 3-7 times as they run.  Sometimes it is a bit of a work out for you too.  They almost always at a golf course and it is beautiful.

After the cross country meet it was time for a quick sandwich and then off to the girls swim meet.



This is one of Erin's good friends, Camille.  She is always cheering Erin on.  I think what is great and inspiring about this is Camille swims on the varsity team.  Erin is still just a newbie at this and a little on the slower side.  She is typically the last to finish but her friend is on the side following her up the sideline yelling encouragements.  It is great.



A little bit of diving.  This was Elaine's second highest scoring night, I think.  She placed 2nd both meets this week.





Here is where I have a little bit of lens envy.  I took some good pictures of Erin's first event.  Then Elaine's coach let me use his huge and very expensive lens for sports.   AHHHHHHH!!! That is all I have to say.  The pictures came out so much better.


Erin swimming the 100 meter freestyle.



I almost wished the event were longer so I could keep taking pictures.

Just in case anyone wonders about the pink caps here is the story.  The head swim coach found out a couple weeks ago that her mother has breast cancer.  The assistant head coach has been battling cancer for some time now and was given a grim prognosis that she probably wouldn't make it to the end of the school year.  The girls decided on their own this week to get pink caps.  They asked for a donation of $10 to be given to the assistant coach.  Tuesday after the coaches left the locker room the caps were handed out and put on.  When the girls came out for the meet they were all wearing the pink caps.  Sadly we missed the few minutes before the meet, but the girls said the coaches reaction was priceless.




Last night was also senior's night.  They recognize all the seniors on the team.  That's right all 4 of them. It is a fun way for them to say goodbye since the season is almost over.  I have to admit I'm a little sad.  Elaine was also one of the captains this year.


After recognition the girls do some kind of dive or cannon ball into the water.  As a diver I expected Elaine to do something spectacular.  She just dove in.  When I asked her why she didn't belly flop or something her response was, "I was too tired and I didn't want to get wet again."

There you have it.  One evening in the life of the Wills.  I really should have gotten a picture of the boys eating a huge chocolate chip cookie on the sidelines or something.  Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment